Monday, January 11, 2021

Bindi Teaching Author notes

 

AUTHOR  INTRODUCTION.

G. J. Webster.

There has been nothing weirder for me than re-learning how to live with a dog in today’s confined urban environments.  A lot of my dog owning had been in countryside and un-crowded suburbia where dogs were used for work and occupational company.  To understand why my past experiences with outdoor country dogs didn’t apply to indoor urban dogs I have had what I would call an interesting learning experience. 

I have read a lot of big books with a little bit of useable stuff hidden over lots of pages. I wasted months on-line seeking good content. I have heard repeated advice of old-school pack leader teachings.  I had totally failed to urbanise my dog.  I am not a fan of ongoing training that doesn’t work.

What I want to do as quickly and concisely as possible is to give you some really useful habits that will help settle a reactive or unsettled pup into this urban fray we call home.

I believe that every dog is unique, as is every owner.  No theory will fit all, probably not fit many, most likely a fixed theory of training will suit very few.   I do know there are some things fundamental to all people and all dogs and if understood will resolve problems the urban pooch encounters.

Play is important and although I will not continue to mention it, all training should be backed up by play around the learning to enforce the lesson as a good thing.

 What I will do is give you some insight and a few proven tools to make urban living with pooches a more relaxed and enjoyable thing. 

I am always willing to accept good new advice and will continue to learn what else works from my current expert, a lovely girl dog, my four year old Alsatian called Bindi. 

 I guess I should tell you a little about me now.

 I am a male baby-boomer, don’t hate me for that.  I have worked on Australian livestock farms with sheep dogs, collies, cattle dogs and a three legged kelpie called Rhama.  As suburban pets I’ve owned a Corgi called Mandy, a Scottish Terrier named Pippa, a foundling German Shepherd rejoicing in the name Swagger, one tall 75kg adopted fawn Great Dane renamed Symbol (he was formally called Prince), another tall, fawn Great Dane, Bosco (gotta love Danes) and now in the UK,  a German Shepherd bitch from a long line of pedigree and police dog genetics called Bindi.  Bindi is an Australian native word purportedly meaning ‘little girl’, which as she is 36 kgs and living in the UK is dually inappropriate.  If Bindi is anything, she is mostly inappropriate. 

Each and every one of my dogs has shared its own personality with me and shown unique strengths and behaviours clearly to the outside world.  Bindi is the definition of unique amongst the unique. 

My non-dog related experiences include all the usual life things along with the unusual successes and failures that come with trying to earn a living.  There have also been far too many deaths of loved ones in my life, starting for me with the death of my father when I was a very young lad.  My aunt gave me Mandy the Corgi to help me cope with that, probably to give me something to divert my emotions to, and dogs have been and will be forever in my life since then. 

In terms of career, I have enjoyed farming, selling, being an international corporate executive, a business owner, and a habitual property developer.   I’m equally fortunate to have been happily married for more years than is polite to boast about.  Most of these things have caused me joys and pains in equal measure but always, at every stage, in every country, there have been dogs involved.  Every dog has taught me something about myself. 

In the rest of this book I will work towards letting you know about tools and tricks that will help learn how to correct our behaviour and the demands we place on our pups.  I lay no claim that these ideas or tools are in anyway solely my invention.  Most have been adapted learning from others, filtered through my dogs responses and some are tested on Bindi as she is the best student I have ever had the mixed pleasure to be driven crazy by.  

I have had to change, to be more relaxed, to observe my pooch, to be kinder, to try to understand what my dog responds to and is uncomfortable around.  I hold no value in my old belief that to own a dog meant I had to be the strong dominant pack member. 

I still think it is important that my dogs know they can rely on me, but now, rather than dominance I like to think I can be a safe, reliable and friendly base in a world which is getting more confusing the more digitally distracted and the more populated our environments become.   

That’s enough about me, now let’s talk about

 URBAN DOGS. 


 

No comments: