Friday, May 4, 2012

Murder Site



the Yorkshire ridings mag ran a competition with a 200 quid prize.  rules were.  1000 words, a murder, in Yorkshire, fictional, not defamatory, in by August 20 , as many stories as you like, entry free.  This was my first attempt, I may try others, I have not really got the handle on murders.  


MURDER SITE.


MURDER SITE.

Sorry to call you in your office.

That’s okay, it’s 6pm here you know.

Oh…. right…. Mate,  are you sure you want to build such a huge family home there?  Have you seen the site?

No, but it’s nice there in Whitby.  Pubs, shops, the ocean.   Why wouldn’t we want to?  Anyway ….it’s right where Jenny grew up.  Jenny's the one driving it.  Why?  Isn't it going well?

Mate, Hasn't been easy but, ... perfect site, not overlooked, views over the beach.

Sounds fantastic, what’s your problem?. 

I gotta tell you, that address….  mostly family-owned terraced houses …it's no easy building site.

So? I told you, we buy the terraces, knock them down and voila!   Building site. What’s your problem?

Mate. ... You’ll need five terraces for your house.   I’ve door-knocked that block of five annually, the ones with the best views. No-one wants to sell. 

That’s why I hired you…..

Well, turns out that was a good decision.  Yesterday, I get answers from the two homes each side of the middle one, find out both owners died seperatly last week. I go in, talk to the families, poke around, and now they both want to sell. 

Gees, what happened?

Oh, the old bloke fell down the stairs and broke his neck.  The neighbour, old Mr. Walker, hears the thump,  rushes next door, finds him dead.  The other one, other side of Walker,  young teacher, starting up her car the next day and it bursts into flames. Poor old Walker had to call the 999, watching her fry in the blaze.

Gawd, that’s horrible.

Yeah, yeah, suppose so…BUT!  I’m signing the families up and can start working on the other three.  I’ll see if we can’t put the whole site together for you.  Old Walker, he’s got to be an easy target now….

Well… okay, keep me posted.  But that’s terrible news.

Yeah,  perhaps, let you go then,  call you in a fortnight!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mate!  Great news!, well, sort of, about your site … I’ve locked in another owner! 

Really?  Which one?  Mr. Walker?

Nah.  That bloke’s traumatized.  I got the one on the far left end.  You won’t believe it, she took real ill, died on the way to hospital.  Ate some sort of cake with nuts in it,   had something called anaphylactic shock…...  I was only having a cuppa with her the day before.

Hell,  those terraces are cursed.  I'm  wondering if the site's going to make such a happy home for us now..

Nah mate.  These things happen.  Her daughter signed right up!  Only two to go now. It’ll be lovely. Don’t you or Jenny worry about it.   I’ll keep you posted.    Sorry to call you on the weekend.

Yeah, it’s only 7am here. 

Oh, sorry,

 Hope your next call has happier news.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mate!  I know it’s been weeks,  Did I get the time right for New York this time? 3 o'clock? 

Mm.  How’s the site going?  Got Walker yet?

Nah, but I am going to see him tomorrow.   He’s the last one!

What? You got the end terrace to sign? Well done…

Well,  not actually.  It burnt out.  Electrical failure.  Place was a council property.  I got them to sell as is!  I’ve nearly got them all,  and within budget!  So it’s me and old Walker tomorrow, I’ll have it all wrapped up for you by the end of the week!

That’s good news… I suppose…. Let me know how it goes with Mr. Walker.

Sure will.  Mate? How badly do you want this site? Walker’s the middle terrace.  What can I offer to lock him in?

As little as possible. You know the budget. Hasn’t changed. Don’t call me until you have done the deal.

Right mate! Be calling you soon!.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good afternoon Mr. Walker.  Thanks for letting me come round for this chat...  You know why I’m here……

Oh yes.  You want me to sell you my old house don’t you?

That’s no secret Mr. Walker. 

It sure isn’t.  Well young man, I hope you have very deep pockets.

To be fair Mr. Walker your house is only worth what it’s worth to my client.

Well.  That would be quite a lot now wouldn’t it?  What with all the other purchases you have “arranged” for him.

Um…Okay…Let’s just talk numbers, Mr. Walker.  Houses in this road sell for 180 to 200 thousand. We’re prepared to offer you 257 grand..

Ha! 257? You’re not even close. …. Considering….,  I might just tell the cops you have been killing off my neighbours, sabotaging them….  

Mr. Walker!...  A horrible thing to say! … I’m staggered!....  Think of the families, all the suffering,  those terrible accidents ….

Huh!    Accidents …..   I want a million or no deal.

Mr. Walker, honestly, I am offended.   I’m not negotiating any more today.  We are too far apart. Consider your options.

Fine then, you come back with a better offer, or a good alibi, or both.   And shut that door on your way out.

I will be back Mr. Walker, but my offer won’t be near a million.  And please.  Consider what’s happened,,, very carefully.

Okay young man. …I will … Hey, Wait up!  Your office is next to the newsagent…… See those four things on the table? Take them back to Lucy for me will you?   She left them here this morning.

Sure Mr. Walker, but think carefully about your price.  No silly threats, okay?  Goodbye.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello? Sergeant Taylor? John Walker here.  Yes. ..Yes….He’s leaving now….   Yes, I’m sure.  He threatened me.  Showed me ground-up nuts he used, the trip wire, the cut-off petrol line, and the electric fuse. Laid them out, like that, all in order of the properties, right here on my table.  Yes, he’s taken them. Thanks Sergeant.  Glad we’ll catch the blighter.  ‘Bye.
- - - - - - -----------------------------------------------------
Hello? Hello!   How’s my favourite Son-in Law?   Jenny still enjoying New York?  Yes, yes, everything went just like you planned. He fell right in.  So,?  You ready to build our big new family home here?    

No comments: