Friday, December 23, 2011

An Aussie's UK Christmas

It can’t be bloody xmas!

My skin is still all white
Its only 4:15 and already it’s gone night.
There’s no cricket on the airwaves yet
no girls in shorts, no volley net.

It can’t be bloody xmas
There's not one sniff of barbeque,
No sight of presents left in view...
No white wine sparkling in the sun,
No kids in speedos screaming fun.

It can’t be bloody xmas
I’m sitting here in ugg boots
that come up to my knees.
I should be seeking shade
and hunting up a breeze.

It can’t be bloody xmas
All the Santas should reek of sweat
And when I’m sitting down for lunch
my bathers should be wet.

It will only feel like xmas
When the bird is carved and cold
And laid out next to salad
with a glass of amber Gold.

It can’t be bloody xmas,
Its cold, damp, dark and bleak
A quick trip back to paradise
would take a bloody week.

It will only feel like xmas
When the barbie's grilling prawn,
the girls lay barebacked on the lawn,
and mates relax and have a yawn,
while grandmas on their children fawn.

But here,,,,
There is food, and friends, like twenty.
A pretty wife, and years a-plenty
to spend in love and warmth together
no matter in the world, wherever.

It kind of feels like Christmas..
I suppose I could be told,
but still, by any measure,
its far too bloody cold.

No comments: