Monday, June 16, 2014

The Moisturehenge

In our marital bedroom we have a clock. It is an alarm clock. It wakes us up when asked and displays the progress of the day should either of us enter the room or rouse in the night and wonder as to the hour. It is a useful device upon which I have held some reliance but no particular emotional attachment.
It is my casual reliance on discerning the early hours in which I am finding a frustrating obstruction. My darling partner, my first wife, the girl whom I chose so many years ago as the supreme companion, she has a sense of self awareness. This is displayed in part by her desire to retain the looks we all lose as the aggressions and joys of life are worn into our hide and become amplified by the gravity of our world.
A clock and wrinkles. I never thought a time in my life would come where these two things would stand so firmly in conflict.
One of the key aspects of placing a clock in place is so as to enable a casual observer to determine time at a swift glance. To facilitate this, it is appropriate for the face of the clock to remain largely unobstructed and displayed to a wide range of vantage points within the room.
A wrinkle is, I am told, an unsightly reminder of lost youth, a denizen of evils past and must be defeated, disguised or destroyed. While I am complacent about my body’s marks of experience it seems I am alone in this. The lady of the house has potions. She scours the world, or more correctly the world’s purveyors scour her resources, to experiment with creams, lotions, powders and oils of various origin all claiming efficacy in wrinkle removal, or reduction, or calming, or shrinking or some-such. I am no vain man but I do not think that my regime of occasional facial bathing has proven to be any less efficient at dealing with wrinkles than has the produce of global scientific research as applied or implied by her potions. In a phrase, we both look our age.
The problem is, if one considers there is any veracity in the claims of the wrinkle charlatans, then one is required to practice application, rubbing, soaking and massage at specific times of the day. Regrettably a clock is not required for this timing. One simply needs to understand the intent of directions that give application times as ‘on rising’ ‘as needed’ and ‘prior to retiring’. I know of no clock that can prescribe these periods.
I guess the conflict may well not be anchored in our differences in wrinkle treatment. It may be that I am a morning person who wakes, occasionally prematurely, with a desire to know the time, while she is an evening person who relies on the alarm to awaken her from slumber. She needs to rise at varying times for work, I awake early for my day as a routine. I like to see the clock, she likes to hear the alarm.
As her potions are required to be applied at times that mainly correspond with rising or retiring, the potion pots, tubes, tubs and cartons are assembled on her bedside table. The clock is electric with a lead extending to the power point and no farther. The clock is therefore on her bedside table. The moisturehenge obscures the clock. The moisturehenge is of considerable complexity, volume, and variety. One has to say an impenetrable henge of horologic obstruction.

So, I can’t see the clock. A solution is impossible while retaining a conjugal sleeping arrangement. I worry about it and it may be causing furrows in my brow. There is no solution to that. 
Of that I am certain. 
She has proved it.

No comments: