Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Feeding Birds

A task to write a piece of exactly 250 words for the first Leeds Savage annual.  Thought I'd write of a recent experience I'd had discovering what sort of bird I was actully feeding after setting up the ideal bird table system.

The bird feeder

It has been difficult to attract specific birds into the backyard but I have succeeded and am quite proud.

It takes time to build an environment where wild creatures feel their desire for food exceeds the threat of visual exposure. My plan was to attract bullfinch as they are very desirable specimens.

I erected a birdfeeder with two tiers filled with bulk finch mix and a top tier filled with niger seed specifically to attract the bullfinch.

Of course the tits and chaffinch descend first as they are fleet of wing and territorial. The ground feeding dunnocks and blackbirds swiftly follow to clean up the spills. It is necessary to attract these non target species to provide a populous bird environment so the bullfinches become more emboldened.

It is also mandatory to locate the feeder in the open yard to provide good sight lines and maneuverability around the perches. A squirrel-proof baffle is installed to prevent rodents scaring away the bullfinch.

Great fun, my specific bird now happily feasts a couple of times a week in full view of my study window. He glides past my vantage point well shielded by the holly tree, banks and with needle talons extended thrusts majestically to surgically pluck a bullfinch from the air as it tries dumbly to fly into the shrubs. A puff of feathers and a small squeak is the reward for my patience. I watch captivated as the sparrow hawk roosts in the sycamore and hungrily devours his twitching meal.

No comments: