Monday, July 12, 2010

Something about heat

A glow. That is what they call it, in polite society. That moist sheen on a woman warmed by the day or the day’s event.
Now she just lay there, ankles crossed and resting in the dappled shade pretending to be absorbed in what looked like some intellectual autobiography or a reference book, her open weave straw hat and sunglasses offering more fashion than function but I had to admit, all to great effect.

Arriving about an hour ago with a flourish of beach-towel and with an elegant removal of her flowing sundress she had, as intended, attracted the attention of every man and the envy of most women.   I had seen this act played out at least once a day by pretentious ladies looking for more than a tan, but this one had a style, a worldliness, an aura if you would, that changed the focal point of the scenery around the pool. Perhaps it is just me, but dark red hair is always an attraction, her tresses waved thickly around lightly tanned shoulders and complimented what could be referred to as a coy sprinkling of freckles on her nose and cheeks.

When ordering her soda and bitters from me as I did my rounds she had removed her glasses, flashed impossibly white teeth between glossed lips and glanced enticingly at me with smoke-blue eyes.  I'd responded with “Room number?” for the charge. A witty, urbane and worldly bit of repartee if ever there was one. “P, 3” she pouted in reply.  That gave me pause for thought, hmm, a penthouse suite...nice.  As I returned to the bar and started to mix her drink I watched as one of the hopeful responded to the bait. Tanned, toned and in well-cut shorts he saunter-strutted directly to his target and crouched smoothly, near but not too close. Class act I thought. Self-confidently he removed his sunglasses, gave a sexy smirk and mouthed a practiced phrase. A flash scan from her, a couple of deprecating words and a dismissive tone any of which alone would have made a polar bear shiver, were effective in convincing this tiddler that his embarrassing retreat was preferable to any continued attempt.

I placed her drink on the table with a vibration and she signed for it with  ring-free fingers, long unpainted nails and one of those smiles that could feed a man for a week.

Four summers I have been doing this job, it does have it’s perks, but this one, this one for some reason I’d rather watch than win, she had raised the temptress role to an art form. Back behind the safety of my bar I noticed Sir Rodderick had taken up his usual place next to the taps.

‘Good Morning Rod’, I welcomed him, ‘your usual coffee and chaser this morning Sir?’ His affable nod and easy grin had become a familiar start to a very pleasant daily ritual between us.

As I prepared the coffee and measured the rum over ice he bought me up to date on the wreck dive he led yesterday. I did like Sir Rodderick, “call me Rod”.  From the first year I met him, he had exemplified all that 'taking a few weeks off ' meant.  He'd inherited a failing metals business when he was a lad of 19 and spent the next twenty five years or so working it into a global colossus which now employed thousands directly and indirectly around the world. His high public profile made escape from prying eyes almost impossible, but here, as Rod the scuba guy, he blended in and could relax.

In the small pause it took me to serve him his coffee and chaser, his attention had been grabbed by the shaking of a bright auburn mane as its owner discarded her hat, rose sinuously, stretched and strode to the pool, graciously sitting and floating her rather pleasant legs in the water.  The recently acquired tan on Rod’s face did not disguise an increased flush of colour.  
Glancing briefly back to me he said, “What do think of that then?”

‘Honestly? I think she’s a stunner. I wonder though…’ But before I could say anything more there was a devastating smile and a small wave directed like a missile towards Rod. The bloke visibly melted a little as he grinned stupidly and nodded in reply. 
‘What do you wonder?’ he asked absently.
‘Um’ I said, suddenly protective of my favourite customer, ‘What I wonder is if she isn’t just a high society wannabe type looking for a rich target’. 
This rather blunt inference got Rod to turn and face me ‘Oh really?’ what makes you say that?’
‘Well, a couple of things, look at her. Holiday makers don’t present themselves like that if they are just looking to relax by the pool’
‘And?’
‘And, she turned down the advances of at least one strong candidate already this morning so I'd say she’s looking for a big fish .’
Rod considered this for a second and settled back onto his seat. ‘Could be.' he mused and after a while of staring added dreamily, 'You know, to me, she could be a professor of Geology, relaxing after a couple of weeks working a dig in 100 degree temperatures, sweat pouring down her as she collects, records and processes ore samples.  She's here with her boss who after many long months has finally won her as his lover…’

‘Gawd, you have theme fantasies don’t you Rod.!' ‘Spending too much time working on the mines huh?’
Rod looked wistful ‘Yeah, I suppose.’ another long stare and then, "What do you think if I went over just as a local dive bloke and tried my chances?'
‘Mate, no offence intended, but I have seen the ones she has thrown away, and , with the best will in the world I have to tell you, you don’t measure up well to the discards. I'm sure she’s after higher game than dive instructors’

It was hopeless suppose, I should have known better.  The temptress timed it perfectly, a glance, the raised knee, a sashay back to her beach towel,  raising the empty glass.

Rod's question was obvious, I had the lime slice ready and was almost pouring the soda by the time he asked me ‘What’s her drink today?’

With a pang in my heart I handed him the drink and watched as he headed off to his humiliation. I continued watching as she smiled at his approach, giggled as he gestured towards the bar and made diving actions, but then she reached up to embrace him with a familiarity born of a deeper understanding.

As if my embarrassment wasn’t sufficient, Rod’s return to pay for the drink by flashing his Penthouse 3 room key made my face so red I wanted to bury it in the ice trough.

No comments: